Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chili

Well it has been a little while since I posted about some things I have made in my crock pot. Things have become a little more hectic in the last couple of week at home making meals a little bit harder. But that is what is so great about crock pots! You practically through all the ingredients in, turn it on, do what you need to do, and then come back to a delicious hot meal! A favorite of mine is chili.

Recipe
   2 lbs Ground Beef
   1 Qt Tomato Juice
   1 (29oz) Can Tomato Puree
   1 (15oz) Can Red Beans, drained
   1 Medium Onion, chopped
   1/2 Cup Celery, diced
   1/4 Cup Green Pepper, diced
   1/4 Cup Chili Powder
   1 tsp Cumin (or more for extra flavor)
   1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
   1 tsp Salt
   1/2 tsp Black Pepper
   1/2 tsp Oregano
   1/2 tsp Sugar
   1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper


In a frying pan, brown the ground beef; drain. Put the drained beef and the remaining ingredients into a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.

This is all to the recipe. You can cook this on the stove or just prepare it all and put into your crock pot and put it on low and let it slowly warm up and blend all together for a few good hours, stirring occassionally. When I make it, I usually use less than a quart of tomato juice or none at all and will substitute a small can of tomato paste or sauce. Just something similar to add some liquid. I also really like a thick and hearty, spicy, chili so I also use at least 2 cans of drained beans and about 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper. That is just me though. I really like chili and I always do a little variation just to try different things.

After its been cooking on low in your slow cooker for a few hours and is nice and hot, scoop yourself some into a bowl with some shredded cheese on top, with a nice hot roll and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment