Recipe
2 medium minced onions (my roommate doesn't like the texture of onions, so I mince them but chopped onions would be fine)
1 red pepper - chopped
1-2 cups carrots - I didn't measure how many carrots I used, it was somewhere between 1 or 2 cups, closer to 2 cups. I stopped cutting them up when I thought it looked like enough
1-2 cups broccoli - Same thing as carrots, I chopped them up until it looked like it would be enough (we were serving 8 people so I put more in the recipe called for.)
Garlic - I like garlic, so I minced 5 or 6 cloves but you can have less or more depending on what you or your family likes)
4-6 chicken breasts cubed - This doesn't need to be cooked ahead of time. We cut them into small cubes and mixed them right in with the vegetables.
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup celery - Or more, if you like celery
Pre-made roll out pie crust - You can get this at any grocery store
Salt and Pepper
Add all your vegetables and chicken into a big bowl and add the cans of cream of chicken soup and mix very well. Sprinkle some salt and pepper in as well.
Place into a crock pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray and roll pre-made pie crust on top.
Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-5 hours. We were short on time to make this before we had planned to eat so we set it on high and it went for about 3ish hours.
How It Tasted
The pot pie itself kind of came out more like a stew... but... it was a very delicious stew! We were short on time so we didn't let the crust harden up as much as it needed to and the cream of chicken soup didn't stay as thick as we thought. But good news is I have another pre-made pie crust and we want to try it with gravy or do something to thicken up the cream of chicken soup. I also was going to add in a chicken bouillon packet or two to the mix vegetables but it slipped my mind before I put it all together in the crock pot. I made homemade yeast rolls to go with it and those were delicious! This is a picture of them from my annual bake sale for Relay For Life.
Great blog posting Julie. You have pictures, a recipe as a resource. Very nice. It makes me want to go out and by a crock pot. I look forward to see what different types of things you can cook in one?
ReplyDelete